Google+

Translate

31 August 2013

Retro Gaming: Ebay SNES and my plans for it...(Part 1)

Back once again with the geek behaviour 

Not made a blog post in a while as I've been busy with life and stuff, I do however have a number of unfinished posts to complete and publish. but for now here's a pick-up + plans post.

The Pick Up.

Picked up a Super Nintendo Console(PAL) on ebay for pretty cheap, came in at 99p + postage, was just the console itself + the original power supply, and I'm fine with that. It was sold as "for parts or repair, not working" description said "powers on so may work" and "found in house clearance". So when I put a bid in, I didn't know if it would work or not.

LE SNES

It Arrived well packed and in pretty good time, so I was pleased with that, gave it a quick clean up with some "Dettol Anti-Bacterial multi action wipes" I use these for general cleaning and normally give things a wipe over with them when I get something used they're citrus-y so I like that too. The console itself is a bit yellowed but by far not the worst I've seen, Didn't have a AV cable(I thought I did but must have got rid a while back) so I hacked together a RF cable from a composite video cable and a old TV RF cable like so:

Like I said quickly hacked together just cut n soldered, this is just temporary to test the console so I'm not going to leave it like this(but does work great for RF), will get RGB SCART cable for it. The console did actually still have the Multi Out AV port cover bung still on it so this was also nice.

The Console, as I said it's a bit yellowed but overall it's in pretty good condition for it's age no cracks or chips and no serious marks. So using the new hacked together cable I hooked it up to my LCD TV/Monitor as it's got a tuner in it, stuck Super R-Type in and Powered it on, and got a picture straight away, working, although no sound(oh shit), so I went into TV settings and the Coax input was set to "cable" so I changed this to TV/RF Antenna and went to "Autotune" after a few seconds the SNES was picked up and stored as a channel, now with sound! A-La-Below:

Crap video just showing it all working - 




Sorry for the sound and video quality it was filmed with a phone camera, had a hard time getting it to focus and some very lazy half arsed editing + creaky chair noise.

Plans for the SNES:

Got this SNES with the intentions of Modding it which is why I was looking for a cheap one and not too worried about the condition / yellowing. Mods I have planned are as follows:


  • 50/60HZ Switch
  • Lockout Chip on /off switch
  • Cart Slot Mod to fit US Game Carts
  • Power LED mod
  • LED's for switches
  • Paint job with logos and decals
  • Replacing Capacitors(although all is working fine)
  • Controller port mod to accept US/JP controllers

As of yet I've not been able to open her up, I ordered the wrong Game Bit screwdriver, i got the 3.8mm one that fits the Cartridges(NES and SNES + others) but needed the 4.5mm one that fits SNES consoles and SEGA Carts + others. So I'm now waiting for the right one to arrive. 3.8mm will still come in handy so I'm not bothered. 

I Am aware of the supercic/IGR mod etc but don't want to do that yet or to this console. I'm not interested in playing super mario rpg so this will do, at least for now. I'm looking forward to the Retron5 and that is looking like it's going to be pretty good.

So yeah that's it for now. more to come...

Link to Part 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment